Full Time Shop Manager
When someone has an engine problem, are you the go-to person to solve what’s wrong?
Armstrong Trucking in Port Huron, Michigan has been helping transport southeast lower Michigan’s United States Mail since 1957. For us, “the mail must go through,” and we are looking for a knowledgeable mechanic with the skills to join our team to oversee and perform needed repairs and maintenance to our fleet to keep the US Mail moving safely and on time.
The successful applicant will maintain our fleet by diagnosing and repairing tractor and trailer components such as engines, transmissions, electrical, braking, and air conditioning, along with general and preventative maintenance such as tracking and performing oil changes.
Job accountabilities include:
- Diagnosing vehicle failures and disassembling, repairing, ordering, and reassembling parts as necessary
- Maintaining and repairing fleet equipment
- Performing preventative maintenance on fleet equipment
- Maintaining vehicle records as required
- Filling out all necessary documentation
- The ability to interact with drivers to properly determine the cause of the complaint or issue
- Performing remote triage with drivers to determine cause of roadside breakdowns and develop best solution
- Other related duties as required
The ideal candidate must possess the following:
- Knowledge of repairing heavy and light trucks: working on tractor-trailers including brakes, tires, and engines
- Currently hold or able to obtain CDL Class A License within 4 months of employment
- Ability to be on call nights, weekends, etc. when mechanical issues arise
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Legally eligible to work in the United States
- Successfully complete pre-employment drug screen, physical, and background check
- Ability to perform several physical movements including lifting, pinching, bending, reaching, climbing, and manipulating and handling objects
- Ability to learn
- Mechanical aptitude
- Strong work ethic
- Safety focused
While we are open to mechanics that are starting out with a solid base of knowledge and a willingness to learn, preferred qualifications include:
- Auto or Diesel Maintenance degree or certificate
- Experience working on International trucks
- Familiarity with PC-driven diagnostic software
We offer our mechanics:
- Competitive wages
- Potential training opportunities
- Paid vacations/holidays
We are an equal opportunity employer and all applicants are considered for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, marital status, veteran status, non-job related disability, or any other classification protected by federal, state, or local law.
We maintain a drug-free workplace and perform pre-employment background and drug testing.
Apply by mail
We are no longer accepting applications by mail. Please email your information using the form below.
To apply online please complete the information below. While we cannot guarantee everyone will receive a response we appreciate and thank you for considering us.